Sunday, March 1, 2009

...in like a lion...




Hello. It is flurrying here in Chester County, PA this morning. Thankfully no crackpot called me myriad times and my morning has been peaceful. The animals loved walking in the winter wonderland and we are now back in a warm, safe place. It is the first of March and, at least in my locale the month is coming in like a lion. Do you happen to know the origin of the weather proverb about March, "in like a lion, out like a lamb"? For most locations, the average temperature at the end of the month is higher than at the beginning, so the proverb typically has some meteorological truth to it, but where did it come from?
This phrase apparently has its origins with the constellations Leo, the Lion, and Aries, the ram or lamb. It has to do with the relative positions of these constellations in the sky at the beginning and end of the month. I always thought that it was the severity of the weather but I love learning new things. I hope you do too. Yesterday after shop hours I visited T and C and had a nice time as usual. I tried to save them some money by suggesting corner cabinets for their Dining Room that didn't have to be custom built, but their minds were made up. They will look great. I also chose an aqua fern fabric by Kravet for a Wing Chair and Ottoman set and think that they will ultimately order it. It is Traditional without being stuffy and a bit off the beaten path so it may take additional time for two minds to wrap themselves around it. Last night we went to 'Creed's' for dinner right in Wayne and I can almost remember being a singing waiter when it was called 'The Sting'. I remember better decorating it when it was called 'Baron's Inn'. Yikes. I am dating myself. Today is errand and clean day but I don't mind. I can lay low, get things in order and spend time with my housemates. I hope you can do the same. Have a great day. Oh, happy March. Roar! Corner Cabinet as shown...$1322.00


'An optimist is someone who gets treed by a lion but enjoys the scenery.' Walter Winchell