Wednesday, March 4, 2009

...discovery...


Hello. The snow is still with us here in Chester County, PA but the sun is shining also and it is now a tepid 19 degrees. No wonder Christopher Columbus high tailed it back to Portugal on this day in 1493 on his ship Nina from his discovery voyage to America. He was probably cold! But what a discovery for him to make. And what bravery. I wonder how it is that some people stay in the same small square all of their lives and seem to be content, while others search the world over and (hopefully) find contentment in that lifestyle. I will just bet that Chris and his friends raised a glass to toast not only their discovery but their success in making the trip. Another discovery made was that people like to go to bars and drink! A man named 'Sam' opened the first tavern in Boston, Massachusetts on this day in 1634. His sidekick, Diane Chambers, a well spoken but somewhat irritating woman who...oops! Sorry. That was a television show from the 80's. The man who opened the first tavern was named Samuel Cole. I am not sure if he had a sidekick. The General Wayne Inn located in Lower Merion Pennsylvania also served as a post office from 1830-1850 and was also the polling place in 1806. I can almost remember casting my ballots buzzed on martinis! The Carole fabrics arrived yesterday and I prepped them for the 'workroom' and all seems well. I also began painting the rattan chair and side table for a client's front porch. A nice lady emailed me on my website to suggest that I title my Beach House Complete Home Fashions section 'Cottage House Home Fashions' and I am taking that under advisement. I truly appreciate constructive criticism and positive suggestions but I much prefer coming up with the ideas myself! Kidding...somewhat. Thank you MAB (and not the paint conglomerate.) Speaking of raising a glass, my friend at Connections Magazine is having a banner season. If any of you want to promote your business, no matter how large or small, give them a call or email. Today's photo is of a golf themed border as a suggestion for LR, the clean freak. Have a great day everyone and try to discover something great. I am off to buy some lining and then I will begin making many, many floral balloon valances. After that, I may not discover a new country, but I certainly may discover a chilled martini.
'You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.' Plato