Wednesday, January 21, 2009

...where there's smoke...


Greetings! There is now a Democrat in the White House and many are looking for change. Let's cross our fingers and hope that the changes are good ones. A walk-in stopped into my shop yesterday inquiring about a sofa. The one that she saw elsewhere was the approximate size of her entire Living Room wall and 4 foot in depth and then came around to form a huge 'L'. I suggested that she make a paper template out of the dimensions and place it on her floor for visuals sake. And End Table's sake for that matter! To each his/her own I say. So did the mayor of New York. On this day in 1908 New York City passed the Sullivan Ordinance making it illegal for women to smoke in public, only to have the measure vetoed by the mayor. I am not a fan of smoking, or drug use either but fair is fair. Either let every consenting adult have the choice to do it or let no one be allowed. Sort of like marriage. And speaking of illegal (and boy was Courtney Love pissed. <<<that may or may not be true) On this day in 1999, one of the largest drug busts in American history happened as the U.S. Coast Guard intercepted a ship with over 4,300 kg (9,500 lb) of cocaine on board. That's a big party that never happened! I placed another accessory order as I sold a few needlepoint pillows from my new(er) Beach House Section along with a chandelier and a piece of art and something else that escapes me at the moment...from my website last night. I guess that some people did more than sit on huge sofas watching the Inauguration. I didn't have time to watch a second of it but trust that everything went swimmingly. I see a sort of trend at this time of year. Some folks want to update a room, sofa or chair but don't really need to replace or reupholster it. Throwing a pillow, (thus the term throw pillow) onto an existing piece of furniture really adds a punch to the space. One on a club chair, two -that don't necessarily have to be exactly the same-on a sofa..or twenty seven of them in a mix and match vein if your sofa is the size of a room! I am off to the shop for a while. Have a great day. Don't snort coke even if your ship does come in... the Coast Guard might be watching. Smoke freely unless you can possibly quit but out of range of second and third hand air quality and if you see things happening in this administration that you don't think jive, speak to your local and/or state representatives. We have a voice and always have had a voice. I believe that we have ears that are willing to listen. Bon appetit!
'Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.' Alfred Lord Tennyson