Sunday, January 11, 2009

...convenience...


Hello. There is a thin film of ice over Chester County, PA this morning so please tread lightly. Unless, of course you are in Australia...then I think you are enjoying Summer. Early this morning I started my truck while we had vitamin water in the nicely heated house and then we all jumped into it for our morning park walk ritual. This is while the automatic de-icer ran, the gasoline was being burned into the environment, the warning lights were illuminated and neighbors were still trying to sleep. Being somewhat savvy, I turned off the truck, removed the animals from it and we walked our own neighborhood rather than being environmentally irresponsible just to get to the park. I am thankful for modern conveniences, but responsibility is key also. Last evening I had dinner at a neighbors who has a beautiful kitchen equipped with every modern convenience. This makes sense as she enjoys cooking and is quite good at it. Hold on please. The TV is annoying, I don't want to actually get up to change it so I need to locate the remote. Ahhhh, there it is. As I was saying. I just turned to Inside The Actors Studio and John Travolta is the guest. What a difference a few days make in a person's life. This was of course filmed before the tragic death of his son. He is talking about how Patrick Swayze and Patrick's mom taught him to two step in 'Urban Cowboy'. John just said 'what a life we have...' Sometimes even modern conveniences aren't enough...I loaded some new songs into my IPOD and am ready for the gym today. The facility where I belong has all of the latest pieces to train and to stay in shape. I still have to drive there as I cannot mentally transport myself but that should be possible pretty soon. I do go to the store to buy fat free milk which is the reverse of what began to happen on this day in 1878. Milk was first delivered in bottles to people's homes on that day. Do people still have milk delivered? I think that was one of the earliest modern conveniences and yet it may not be as popular as it was in days gone by. Another convenience that is life changing/saving happened today in 1922. It was the first use of insulin to treat diabetes in a human patient, the patient being a 14 year old. The onionskin thermal lined drapery panels are now finished. I think that I already told you they are made of aqua and chocolate. They will be installed on a very cold wall thus the thermal lining. Another convenience, as in the past people would have to add logs to the fire to help to keep a room warm. My friend W is home from her rotator stint and in this operation they inserted a pin to help with her mobility. W reported to me that while there people were having new hips, knees and other parts installed. In the old days, I think that people were simply placed on an iceberg and sent out to sea. This last part may or may not have happened Later today I will try to get her to take a walk with us. I don't want her to go stir crazy and the snow and ice have stopped. I wonder how the inhabitants of California felt on this day in 1949 as this was the first recorded case of snowfall there and it happened in Los Angeles. The full moon is in full swing and hopefully everyone will take a few minutes to go outside and take a good look at it. I had better get off of this modern convenience, turn on the immediately hot running water, remote 'off' the TV, remote 'on' the stereo system, grab the IPOD and thankfully embrace January 11th, 2009. Have a great day. Oh, I have included a photo of my new 'Brown Leaf Needlepoint Pillow' and conveniently linked it to my website.
"My house is my refuge, an emotional piece of architecture, not a cold piece of convenience." Luis Barragan