Thursday, January 15, 2009

...and a smile...


Good day! It is cold and overcast here in Chester County, PA and we received a light dusting of snow overnight. My friend M emailed me from California to tell me that she is in flip flops with the doors open. So glad to have heard from her! Have a Coke and a smile hon! I sure smiled last night as on my way home from the gym during rush hour I noticed a terrier, much like mine running in the middle of the highway. My heart was in my throat of course as I prayed that other drivers would see him. The driver in front of me slowed thankfully and in a short time I noticed a clearing to my right. I took advantage of that pulling off of the highway and bringing my truck to a stop. With hazard lights flashing I exited my vehicle leaving the front door open and yelled 'Come here!' For some freakish reason, the animal, who was on the shoulder of the road at this point and ahead of me, stopped and came running for me. He jumped into the truck and sat himself on the front passenger seat. He had tags and I grabbed my cell to place a call. Just then a brick colored Hummer pulled up behind me with it's flashers on also. The lady and gentleman in that vehicle said that there was a little girl crying at her driveway a ways back. They had just passed her and had seen me calling for the dog. Moments later, (as two noticeably large vehicles with flashers were sitting diagonally to the highway), a white van pulled up and two people jumped out of it. I knew that they were looking for a dog. Two angry faces turned to mush as the little girl, in her long dress marched over to my truck, opened the passenger door, and as she grabbed and held her dog tightly sternly exclaimed. 'Bad Dog!' I'll bet that the three of them slept great last night. My day had been one stress after another, one time wasting solicitor after another and an 'all about me' person who lingered for a few hours. My workout helped to rid me of the negativity of the day, but it all washed away as what could have been a tragedy turned out to be one of the most beautiful moments of my life. Yippee. I wanted to share this with you as news is mostly not good. This news is wonderful. We are supposed to get more snow today and I think I will not have a Coke even though on this day in 1889 the Coca-Cola Company, then known as the Pemberton Medicine Company, was originally incorporated in Atlanta, Georgia. I'll bet those housewives drink only diet. Have a great day and please keep your eyes open. We never know what is around the corner...or in the middle of the highway!
'Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher'. William Wordsworth