Monday, January 26, 2009

...quench...


Hello. It is hovering around 18 degrees here in Chester County, PA. We went to the park early as per usual. As I unloaded the coated dogs my terrier gave me the 'are you kidding me?' look so we kept it short. When it gets this cold out the air also tends to become very dry. I drink as much water as I can handle having learned that once one's mouth is dry, dehydration has already set in. I keep the dogs hydrated also. Many of my friends tend to hydrate on weekends but that kind of hydration is really dehydration, if you know what I mean. On this day in 1838 Tennessee enacted the first prohibition law in the United States. Tennessee Ernie Ford put his home up for sale that very day. (This may or may not have happened.) Check out his classic tune "16 Tons" if you get a chance. Anyway, yesterday at the gym a guy had on a T-Shirt that read 'Rehab is for Quitters' and I found it amusing. I have a dear friend who works at Malvern Institute and have 'dropped off' people at the same establishment in the past for reasons other than employment. One day at a time folks! I gave my system a break this entire weekend by not imbibing energy drinks, except for pouring Emergen-C into my daily orange juice. I am convinced that the body can get used to such drinks so I try not to take them every day, no matter how quenching they can be. Did you know that 'quench' also means to calm? Of course you did. None of us are dummies here. EA phoned me yesterday to inform me that a study showed that 15 cocktails per week is considered average. I don't know the source for that study, but it may have been taken by Kettle One. No tea totaler here but that sounds like a bit much. I will begin drinking 15 cocktails per week and let you know if it makes me any more average. Kidding. I think. Kidding aside, I do give a damn. Romantic thirsts were calmed by a classic film that began shooting on this day in 1939. That film is titled "Gone With the Wind." In the novel Rhett doesn't say "Frankly," but simply "My dear, I don't give a damn." The context in the novel is also different than that of the film because in the novel he is speaking quietly only to Scarlett in a room, not storming dramatically out of the house. Seriously though, what kind of an ending would it have been if the guy had been whispering? 'Quench' means also to extinguish and that ending surely would have done such to the movie's success. Have a great day.
'Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model.' Vincent Van Gogh