Wednesday, November 19, 2008

...smoke and mirrors...


Brrr. It is getting colder here in Chester County, PA but is to be expected. I can keep the inside warm and look out at the bright sunshine but that make believe is short lived once I step outside. I had to bring paperwork home last evening as a business associate continually talked, interrupted and did strange things to garner as much attention as possible, thus making for a long day! I guess that many people live with smoke and mirrors and have a need to pretend. On this day in 1990, pop group Milli Vanilli were stripped of their Grammy Award because the 'vocal' duo did not sing at all on the album "Girl You Know It's True'. Session musicians had provided all the vocals. The boys were pretty enough and had great hair extensions from what I remember, but... I had a couple of 'declined' credit cards this week and it's only Wednesday! I wonder if that has anything to do with the economy because I sure haven't felt any downward spiral, thankfully. And I can't remember the last time someones credit card would not go through. Thankfully also, I accept personal checks!

This afternoon a friend and I will select an area rug or two and then go out to dinner. I have been hanging wallpaper and fauxing her walls and it is really looking great. She is a wine aficionado and almost has a wine tasting room finished. The floor has to be laid and a few details completed and then she will have a party on 12/27. I am in the midst of painting and making new seat cushions for two ladder back chairs for another client and they are turning out very nicely. Back to smoke and mirrors... One of the biggest form of smoke and mirrors is the entertainment industry and on this day in 1916 Samuel Goldwyn and Edger Selwyn established Goldwyn Pictures (the company later became one of the most successful independent filmmakers). Why it wasn't named Selwyn Pictures is beyond me, but that's for those two to figure out. At least they didn't name it Milli Vanilli. Have a great day, don't take any crap and in a world of scripted 'reality' shows, let's do our best to truly keep it real. *waves energetically to KKK which is not the bigoted group, but my wonderful niece*