Wednesday, November 5, 2008

...driving Miss Daisy...


Happy Day! It is overcast and lightly raining here in Chester County, PA. I voted at 7:09 am and spent the rest of the day as chauffeur and hung out with my nephew. The two of us stopped in the town of Phoenixville to get some ice cream at the Brown Cow but it was being used by the Obama campaign so diverted to Dairy Queen. We had a great day. Running around like crazy folk made even the animals tired this morning and our walk was lethargic to say the least. But we did it. Interestingly and somewhat ironic, on this day in 1931, Nat Turner, an American slave leader, was tried, convicted, and sentenced to death in Virginia. 'Nat' was an American slave who started the largest slave rebellion in the antebellum (pre Civil War) southern United States, in Southampton County, Virginia. His methodical slaughter of white civilians during the uprising made his legacy controversial. At birth he was not given a surname, but was recorded solely by his given name, Nat. In accordance with a common practice, he was often called by the surname of his owner, Samuel Turner. I ordered more Ceramic Tassels for a very nice lady in NYC late last evening and a couple of needlepoint toss pillows too. My chauffeuring tasks yesterday led me to meet some of the most wonderful people, one of which was a grand mom who no longer drove but wanted to vote. Turns out it was her first time ever to cast a ballot. Another, who lived in a trailer park and also had no car but did have quite a few cats held on for dear life as I drove her. Hmmmm. I was slow people, believe me. She claimed that she may wet herself on my passenger seat but luckily it didn't happen. I calmly explained to her that she had to be in line by 8 pm and the last minute call would not prevent me from getting here there. What a life! Step on it! Needless to say, I got her there on time. What ended up happening yesterday? Have a great day everyone!