Saturday, November 8, 2008

...listen up...


I had dinner with a friend last night and we were discussing how few people really listen these days. I am lucky to have a few that still do. I can see why people need to seek therapy; they pay to have someone listen. The 'listen' link is to the inimitable Helen Reddy singing "I Can't Hear You No More" from 1976, and definitely worth three minutes of your life. Vincent Van Gogh cut off part of his ear when his friendship with friend Gauguin began to fail. My guess, along with his suffering from depression which resulted in suicide was symbolism for not being heard. On this day in 1973 the right ear of John Paul Getty III was delivered to a newspaper together with a ransom note, convincing his father to pay 2.9 million dollars. He was 16 at the time and a bit rebellious so the first ransom demand fell upon deaf ears as the family thought the demand originated from the young man. A second demand came but was delayed by an Italian Postal Strike. By this time the kidnappers were tired of being ignored, cut off a lock of his hair and part of his ear and sent it to a daily newspaper. The ransom was then paid and the kidnappers were never found. People need to be heard, and in this life when things are moving faster and faster it gets harder and harder to both hear and be heard. Let's try to be wise men and women and lend an ear (figuratively, please) but not to the point of sacrificing your own good mental health. Have a great day. Did you hear me? I said have a great day. My nephew and I have plans this evening which is always a great time. He is fun, caring and wise beyond his years. You should hear him...