Saturday, November 15, 2008

...radio gaga...




Greetings. It's that time of year! Well, seems that it became that time of year a couple of weeks ago. Holiday songs started playing on the radio and bring to me a sense of comfort. I remember back in the mid 70's having a green globular transistor radio and keeping it with me whenever I could. I remember laying in bed one evening when I first heard the latest single from 'Carpenters' and can still revive the special feeling derived from that moment. A few years later I was in college and AM radio was considered laughable, unsophisticated and non-hip. I remember even way back then not giving a s*it what people thought. Today, when some need the TV on or have the need to talk constantly to fill empty space, I prefer music on the radio, or silence if no radio is available. Not talking heads (or talking mouths as I am discussing a non-visual medium), but music. It still brings me a sense of comfort, unless of course the track is really bad. Some cringe and complain that radio offers nothing good anymore and that all we hear is radio ga ga but I disagree. Thankfully we have a choice and wouldn't have if it weren't for this day in 1926 when NBC Radio began broadcasting on 24 stations. No, I wasn't there but can somewhat imagine how exciting it was. Another exciting moment occurred when I went to place a shade order in 'amber' and learned that it was NOT discontinued! Well, glory be. The client needs nine of them and with the amber walls and chalk white satin wood mouldings, the room will be a knockout. My nephew is coming this afternoon with my sister and we will plan a fun-filled evening of games, a nature walk if Ma Nature complies, possibly a dinner party with age appropriate guests and who knows what else... A business associate drove backwards yesterday and parked in front of the shop backwards and it was the first time in seventeen years that the particular business associate did that. Will wonders never cease? It is raining today and I have shop hours, but I really hope that the weather clears soon. At least it is very warm, and that I love. Well it is time for me to get ready for work. WXPN is part of my morning routine and am thankful that enough people contribute to that station to keep it alive. Maybe not since 1926, and maybe no a lot of ga ga, but it suits me to a key! Iron Scrollwork Rectangular Mirror shown...