Wednesday, August 27, 2008

...oil


Good day from sunny Chester County, Pa. It is absolutely beautiful here and I hope it is where you are too. Yesterday's client spends much of the summer in Cape May and related a story to me that made me smile. Her son is not thrilled about returning to school and struck a bargain that he would go back for ONE DAY. Sounds good to me, except for the educational part that would be missing. Toil away young man! Speaking of (t)oil, on my drive home yesterday I saw signs that the country road that I travel is being oiled next week. That sounded somewhat scarey as the road is narrow, twisting and rides past a waterfall. Talk about 'Slip Sliding Away'. I had to read about it when I got home and it is a method for keeping dust down. The drive is like something out of the past with beautiful homes, many farm animals and is quite quaint. Last Saturday on my drive home down that road I found a very old, rare turtle crossing the street and stopped my truck with hazards on (of course) and coaxed the old bugger back near the pond with my raquetball racket and a terrycloth towel. He was so big that I couldn't lift him nor did he want to be lifted. As I see it, he was there first...ya know? Does anyone know where the first oilwell was found? Right here in Titusville,Pa. on this day in 1859. Well, specifically the first successful oil well. Relating somewhat to this blog are 'Farm Animal Framed Oil Paintings'. Pretty good stretch, eh? For some, finding oil is like the proverbial pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Here is a rainbow connection for you...and for my sister who loves this song's version. On this day in 1993 The Rainbow Bridge, connecting Tokyo's Shibaura and the island of Odaiba, is completed. If you have never seen this almost-miracle please google it. Truly magnificent. Have a great day. And whether it is gold, oil or saving a helpless old critter that is your vision of the end of the rainbow, I hope you find it today.