Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Bring on the waterworks...



I woke up to rain this morning and the plants loved it. And just as we were heading out for our walk, it suddenly stopped. How timely! Hopefully this weekend will be hot and clear so that we can swim and tube. Summer is flying and many at my gym agree with me. Today's photo is a Bathing Baby Needlepoint Pillow of a bathing puppy, speaking of water. On this day in 1923 Henry Sullivan swam the English Channel, and three years later Gertrude Ederly accomplished the same feat. That same year Harry Houdini performed his greatest feat, spending 91 minutes underwater in a sealed tank before escaping. But the real waterworks happened on this day in 2001. A White House briefing entitled Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S. was delivered to George W. Bush. This document foreshadowed the September 11, 2001 attacks. Strains of Christopher Cross's hit song 'Never Be The Same' are running through my head right now. I think I have figured out a way to remedy those dastardly roll shades. Pieces arrived late yesterday and I am pretty sure that I will meet with success. I do enjoy spending time doing the work of others. It brings (a pain in the neck) joy to my heart. Last night I ate with EA and it was great as usual, and another neighbor popped over for a while. I love where I live and truly lucked out peoplewise. I hope all who read this can report same. "We have found no indication of any further discussion before September 11 among the President and his top advisers of the possibility of a threat of an al Qaeda attack in the United States. DCI Tenet visited President Bush in Crawford, Texas, on August 17 and participated in PDB briefings of the President between August 31 (after the President had returned to Washington) and September 10. But Tenet does not recall any discussions with the President of the domestic threat during this period."