Thursday, September 25, 2008

...flying blind...


Good day. Yesterday was a fun filled day. An advertising employee phoned to solicit business yesterday by saying "Hey. How'z it goin'?" I admit, I have no caller ID at work and have been using that landline for 17 years, but geez. When did addressing oneself and stating the purpose of the call at the onset stop? It was pretty much uphill from there. We all have days like these and I am wondering where simple phone etiquette and a veneer of civility went? Most of us do the best that we can, but some days it feels as if I am flying blind. That carpet order that I bored you about this past summer sat in their warehouse because someone on that end mistakenly did not ship it to it's correct destination. The client was ok but a bit disappointed and waited until they were back in the country to have their rugs installed. I sent a polite note to the company explaining the error and my letter was met with a return call which pleased me. But the young gal was unable to stay on topic and kept diverting the conversation. Hmmm. I found a new carpet line late yesterday and am eager to give them a try. They seem eager as well. Something tells me I will be writing another letter, and not blindfolded. Then a duo came into the shop with more advertising regarding these coupon envelopes and I kindly told them that I was not interested in that type of advertising. They were borderline hostile and the heavier of the two smartly offered me a coupon for a cupcake! Wasn't that sweet of her! Last evening was great tho'. We went out to dinner and caught up on small business fun and life in general. My friend is aware of the coupon ad. folks and told me that they were notoriously 'aggressive' which wasn't her exact adjective. But I trust you get the idea. The wallpaper samples arrived yesterday and one is more beautiful than the next. The man sent about 12 Schumacher samples in all which really is above and beyond excellent customer service. He was not flying blind as I described to him the gold damask pattern that we had chosen. I then ordered the replacement fabrics for that job involving the unavailable yardage due to a Fabric House closing it's doors. Kravet, Robert Allen and Carole all came to the rescue and the room will look terrific. On this day in 1929 Dr. Dolittle's brother Jimmy, (that may not necessarily be historically accurate, but it is rather cute) performed the first blind flight from Mitchel Field proving that full Instrument Flying from take off to landing is possible. Before you get all ansy, he was not blindfolded. It is a way of having instruments do the navigating and obstacle clearance in case one is in a cloud, etc. Today's photo features my Fireplace Screen collection, which not only add beauty to a room but keep cinders from flying blind onto your hardwood floors, carpeting or favorite pet. Time to get ready for the shop. Wish me luck. Maybe today I will wear a blindfold and earplugs. Have a great day.