Wednesday, February 4, 2009

...unanimous...


Greetings! We got quite a snowfall last night and it is beautiful outside right now. Chester County is snow covered and it's a Winter Wonderland. I was out late enough that I was driving around before the plows really did any damage to the roads but they are more than passable now. I am thinking about how many school children awoke hoping that there was no school. That thought was probably unanimous. Not so much for some of the parents, but definitely for many children. On this day in 1789 George Washington was unanimously elected to be the first President of the United States by the Electoral College. That must have felt great. I faxed my novel off to Penn Dot yesterday, dropped boxes at the UPS store for accessory delivery and did some rather mundane work related tasks but it was a great day all in all. I am ready for my Saturday clients and hope that they are ready for me. I chose a Robert Allen silk check fabric, a taupe and black toile wallpaper and some varied home accessories. I mentioned yesterday that today marks the death of Karen Carpenter. I remember all the way back to 1975 when she was playing at the Valley Forge Music Fair. She also had a softball team and they played for charity in support of the American Cancer Society. Ironic how health conscious she was. Anyway, always the quiet teen I decided to hang out in the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel in Valley Forge as I deemed that the nicest hotel in the area at that time. I prepared myself with a piece of typing paper and a Bic Banana pen in the hopes that Karen and Richard would magically appear in that particular hotel and then I would get her autograph. Well, she did magically appear a short time later, and as I stuttered 'are you Karen Carpenter?' she came over to me. She replied in the affirmative and took the typing paper, tore it in half and signed her autograph. She was wearing denim shorts and a T-shirt and was the nicest, most down to earth person and I will never forget my meeting her. To me she looked absolutely beautiful and I had no idea what the future held for this shining woman. She is missed, to say the least. Even those who teased her unmercifully when she was alive have now come to see her as one of the greatest voices in contemporary music. If only she had seen that when she was alive. Have a great day, think highly of yourselves and treat others with care. If someone calls you 'fat' or suggests that you ought to 'lose a few pounds', teases you about your speech or any other personal quality please don't take it to heart. Or soul. There is so much more to a person than their exterior. I trust that's unanimous.