Tuesday, February 3, 2009

...the day the music died...


Greetings. Yesterday was groundhog day and he did see his shadow which traditionally means 6 more weeks of winter. This morning in Chester County, PA it is snowing and many bird prints are about. If I drove my Chevy to the levee it would most probably be snow covered. Many consider today to be the day the music died because on this day in 1959, near Clear Lake, Iowa a plane carrying Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper crashed, killing these rock stars. I personally consider tomorrow, February 4th the day the music died because on this day in 1983 Karen Carpenter died of heart failure at age 32. She was supposed to sign her final divorce papers on this day but died before she was able to. I still hope to this day that she didn't die of a broken heart. Yesterday at work seemed to be the Annual Bronchial Awards as everyone except for me was hacking and coughing. I hope I am not next. If I was handed the award, I will not be a happy winner. My travails with my registration and title continue as now I have to construct a cover letter and fax every piece of documentation from 3/28/2008 until now to Penn Dot so that I may receive my stuff. Isn't it crazy? They did it once and should have the records right there, but...anyway...also on this day but in 1998 stamps commemorating Princess Diana went on sale across Britain. I guess I am somewhat morose today, but I am only reporting on what happened in history. I'm sure that there were also a lot of births and new beginnings but that wouldn't make for much a 'music died' theme. Elton John re-worked his 'Candle In The Wind' song when Diana died and had one of his biggest hits ever with it. I think that it is common knowledge that people connect music with things that happen in their lives and have that barometer then locked away for all time. I remember being fairly young, on a road trip with my Mom and seeing a horrible car accident as 'Honey' by Bobby Goldsboro was playing on the radio. The song is about a loved one who dies and he plants a tree and it grows or something of that subject matter. Well, just the thought of the song gives me that queasy feeling to this day, thinking back to the car accident. On a cheerier note and if you believe in this sort of thing, maybe Richie, Diana, Buddy, The Big Bopper and Karen are back on earth, growing up and ready to again grace the world with a special talent. One can only hope. Have a great day. Don't stop the music.
“I remember thinking back then, 'Oh God, if we don't get a hit by the time I'm 20 I have to kill myself!' Well, we JUST made it, because it came out in late May, right after I turned 20, and within 6 weeks it was number one.” Karen Carpenter