Tuesday, February 17, 2009

...baby you can drive my car...


Good day. Even though we awoke to a temperature reading of 24 degrees, once outside and walking a fast pace it seemed much warmer with the sun. The scents in the air are hinting at Spring but none of the dogs are convinced. Ironically we drive to the park so that we can walk. Some may find that ecologically irresponsible but my quaint little neighborhood and the peaceful park are bisected by a well travelled highway. Even at the crack of dawn, vehicles on a mission have begun their commutes so better we hop in a huge, black SUV and batten down the hatches. Not so big in size, but huge in sales was the WV Beetle that officially became the most popular selling vehicle on this day in 1972. Sales of the Volkswagen Beetle exceeded those of the Ford Model T and boy was Henry pissed off! (from what I hear) The economy car was produced by the German auto maker Volkswagen (thus the VW) from 1938 until 2003. The nickname 'Beetle' began in August of 1967 in the U.S. only. The rock group Beatles were already around for about 5 years at this point, so those of you thinking that VW was savvy in riding their car on those coat tails are...hmmmm. My Dad had a Beetle and I still remember the scent of it. It was a good memory and a distinct smell. Did you know that on the song 'Baby You Can Drive My Car' the five chords played after that line are meant to symbolize the 5-speed gearshift as someone puts the thing in 5th gear? I linked the song for you where you see Beetle highlighted. I have an afternoon appointment today to measure about 22 or 25 windows for both hard window treatments and then either valances or drapery of some sort so it should be an interesting day. Along the lines of Henry Ford and VW there are many classic design elements that have stood the test of time. I like to remain unique, but when a client requests 22-25 of the same type blind I cannot argue. I like it best when, standing on the outside of someones home or office, there is a commonality from window to window. Once inside, the treatments are surely allowed to take on different looks as long as they flow from space to space. Uniformity in the theory of Henry and VW and unique, timeless design by...me. The assembly-line way of creating items and Van Gogh's timeless quote will allow me a seamless (get it) exit. Have a great day!
Today's photo is of a headboard that I made from an old Mantle. Nothing assembly-line about it tho'.

'Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.' Vincent Van Gogh