Wednesday, May 13, 2009

...stick together...


Greetings. It is clear and sunny in Chester County, PA today. The full moon has passed but yesterday was a kook filled one for me. A business associate had a quasi-meltdown with many of the theatrics found in poorly done community plays. I exited the scene just as I would have even if I had purchased tickets. Several phone calls during the day secured my theory that it doesn't take a full moon for some people to be crazy. Then I received an email from a 'woman' needing staging but she didn't want to give me her address. This makes it very difficult to find a residence even with the advent of Expedia.com and my terrific Garmin navigational system. It is becoming more and more important to stick together with the good and to repel the evil out there. The one good thing that came from the death of my beloved Max is that now these crazy antics from frivolous people mean nothing to me, for which I am grateful. Stick together everyone, but know when it is time to separate. That is exactly what George de Mestral accomplished on this day in 1958 when his trademark 'Velcro' was registered. Velcro is a brand name of fabric hook-and-loop fasteners consisting of two layers: a "hook" side, which is a piece of fabric covered with tiny hooks, and a "loop" side, which is covered with even smaller and "hairier" loops. Designed for space shuttles it now has an even more important application: Duvet Covers, Window seat Cushions and closing the flapping lips of the odd. When doing the later with Velcro, use the really adhesive kind. Sewing it directly onto the lips can be a real bitch and it is hard sometimes to find a curved upholstery needle at a moment's notice. I digress...Anyway, when the two sides of the Velcro are pressed together, the hooks catch in the loops and hold the pieces together. When the layers are separated, the strips make a characteristic "ripping" sound. I finalized the renderings for two more area rugs and used similar colors to bring together a Living/Dining Area nicely. The color scheme is emerald green, cream and hot pink. Why not? Friends came over for dinner last night and all claimed that they had had a crazy day. Everyone reading this probably did also...why should you be any different? I hope that today is as calm and wonderful as yesterday was stressful and odd as Hell. Have a great day, think positive thoughts, stick together and please keep Velcro on hand just in case you run into a mouth that needs closing.
"And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out into the world it is best to hold hands and stick together. " Robert Fulghum