Friday, May 1, 2009

...may day, may day, may day...


Greetings. It is raining lightly in Chester County, PA this morning which should help my grass seed to flourish. I have been combating a bird seed pool under one of the larger feeders out back and for a while it looked as though I had planted a garden there. The landscapers were confused and began to cut around the 'garden' so I cut out all of the growth, replanted it near the walking path and smoothed it over. On this day in 2003, President George W. Bush declared that 'major combat operations' in Iraq were over, smoothing over worry and concern over the Iraqi location. I have been (not) enjoying the 'discontinued' game again as it seems to be hard for vendors to keep items in stock. This included a few needlepoint pillows and ceramic lamps along with a handful of newer drapery weight fabrics. I always find suitable replacements but it takes more time to get it all together. The vet left a message yesterday that Max's ashes are ready for me to pick up which I will do late this afternoon. He is already home but the ashes belong here. I am thankful for low calorie Boo Koo. I usually drink it before a work out but these past weeks it has been a real Godsend to help keep me going. Fake energy or not, it helps so who am I to argue? It is the first of May which of course means 'May Day' and refers to any of several public holidays. In many countries, May Day is synonymous with International Workers Day, or Labor Day, which celebrates the social and economic achievements of the labor movement. As a day of celebration the holiday has ancient origins, and it can relate to many customs that have survived into modern times. What I do know is that I am working today. How about you? I showed a brand new Robert Allen large Jacobean drapery weight floral to clients yesterday. They loved it, it is available so that is all good news. Hopefully everyone will receive good news today in one form or another! Have a great day. Today's photo is of a Glass Top Dining Table that is supposed to look reeded but is made of wood. I have it in my shop because it is unique. It may never sell but I don't really care. I like looking at it and hope that you do too.
Mayday is an emergency code word used internationally as a distress signal in radio communications. It comes from the French venez m'aider, meaning 'come help me'. It is used to signal a life-threatening emergency by many groups, such as the police, pilots, firefighters, transportation organizations and interior designers who keep choosing unavailable items to complete jobs. The call is always given three times in a row ("Mayday Mayday Mayday") to prevent mistaking it for some similar-sounding phrase under noisy conditions, and to distinguish an actual Mayday call from a message about a Mayday call.
"Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure." George Edward Woodberry