Friday, May 29, 2009

...handicap...


Greetings. The sun is shining over Chester County, PA today after a questionable beginning. Walking four dogs at once may be an easy thing for professional dog walkers and is easy for me unless we run into those unleashed animals which makes it somewhat of a handicap for me. Nothing insurmountable, just a bit more challenging. The scale renderings were accepted yesterday and they also bought the Tall Black Narrow Cabinet. I had a certain height, width and depth to fill and the piece had to compliment the Chinese themed room as well as having to be a certain finish, light reflective quality and provide a specific amount of storage. Heck, that was easy! 'Handicap' is defined as a race or contest in which advantages or compensations are given different contestants to equalize the chances of winning. It is also defined as a physical or mental disability. We all have that in some ways. Maybe I should speak for myself. On this day in 1985 amputee Steve Fonyo completed the cross-Canada marathon at Victoria, British Columbia, after 14 months. Also on this day in 2001 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that disabled golfer Casey Martin could use a cart to ride in tournaments. Back to my dog walking, because I'm sure no one ever tires of me going on relentlessly about them...my Pomeranian has both black skin disease and a ruptured esophagus which renders him almost unwalkworthy in very humid conditions. We slow the pace for him and work with his handicap because that is what we need to do with each other. I suffer from dyslexia at times, especially when I am tired. That can be a real hoot when I am totalling a large sale after several days of sleep deprivation. There is a little person at my gym who commands the StairMaster and is also a hoot. Maybe she developed a wicked sense of humor learning to deal with people or maybe she was born with that gift. Everyone has a handicap I think and we have to treat each other better. Sometimes the handicap is visually apparent and sometimes it is hidden from sight, for those of us who can see. Embrace yourselves and others and have a great day. Today's photo is 'Large Parchment Pendulum Clock'. Give one to your friend who is always late. It is on sale for $56.43, or depending on the day $34.65.
"People think that if you look fairly reasonable, you can't possibly act, and as I only care about acting, I think beauty can be a great handicap." Vivien Leigh