Friday, December 5, 2008

...three coins in the fountain...


Greetings! It is a sunny and clear day here in Chester County, PA. A lady stopped in early this morning to my shop via the website and bought a few things off of the floor. I was smart enough to beef up the petty cash box and was able to make the proper change. She promised to come back tomorrow and pick up a few more things as time didn't allow today. It always makes me feel good when others like what I think looks good. Here comes someone else. I will write more later. So far this blog is a bore...I'm back. An acquaintance is giving 'The Ascent Of Money' as Holiday gifts this year. I suggested taking foreign coins, drilling a hole in each, threading a piece of ribbon through the hole and creating an appropriate bookmark. Get those bits ready! On this day in 1360 the French Franc was created. One of those would make a clever bookmark! I should take this moment and make a suggestion. If anyone has rare coins and wants to send them to me, please do! I probably will not drill a hole into them. Red Planters may be a bit off season here in Chester County but keep them in mind in the warmer states...only because of the caption that I wrote a few months ago. It befits today's topic. Speaking of change, a huge one came into my life and it cost a pretty penny I am sure and I am thankful. It has already helped me out in a few 'pressing' situations and will be 'hand'y well into my future. My reproduction (and 100% wool) runner by the foot is a Red Sarouk and certainly gives a run for the money! Just ask SO how she likes hers. The weather forecast is calling for snow flurries in my neck of the woods. Yippee! The boys had their plaid wool coats on very early this morning for our walk. Looking very dapper, they make me smile as well as a few vehicles on their early way. Either that or they were laughing at my fairly hideous but favorite hat with built in ear covers. HEY! This isn't Project Runway people! But if it creates a smile, all for the better. Back to coins. On this day in 1766 in London, James Christie held his first sale. I may have bid on a metal candle sconce but then again maybe not. This time of year people tend to have a lot on their minds. Work, family, social gatherings, shopping and more. I wanted to remind everyone to keep an extra special eye of your wallets and pocketbooks and be smart about things. Some folks out there are waiting for the opportunity to do some of their own 'shopping' so let's make sure they use their own coins. I have listed a few tips below. Please take a few minutes to review them as they could save you time and coinage.

The target areas are back trouser pockets, and suitcoat and sports jacket pockets, located both inside and out. A pickpocket generally avoids front trouser pockets, and especially buttoned or zippered pockets.
If you have to carry your wallet in an unbuttoned jacket, coat or pants pocket, be sure it holds only what you can afford to lose. Keep large sums of money, credit cards, IDs, in your front pocket or any buttoned or zippered pocket. Some people even place a rubber band around their wallet, because the rubber band creates friction and rubs against the fabric of your pocket if someone is attempting to remove it without your knowledge. The best place for keys is on a chain attached to your clothing.
Never pat your pocket to see if your wallet is there; this lets a criminal know the exact location of your valuables.
Larger-size “pocket secretaries” are particularly inviting to pickpockets, and relatively easy to steal.
Do not carry your wallet in your purse. Conceal it in a buttoned or zippered pocket where it doesn’t show a bulge.
Use a purse that is difficult to open. A purse with a zipper or snaps is best.
If you are carrying a shoulder bag, place the strap(s) diagonally across your body, as opposed to carrying it on one shoulder. This keeps the purse in front of you, instead of at your side or behind you, which sometimes happens with purses with long straps. If you are carrying a hand bag, then make sure to hold it close to the front of your body, instead of holding it on your wrist or loosely in your hand.
Never leave your purse unattended on a store counter or in a grocery shopping cart.
Have a great day everyone!