Saturday, December 20, 2008

...secrets of survival...



Is everyone well rested? I didn't think so, but 'tis the season! As long as we get everything finished that we have to, we are doing just fine. When the mind gets filled, sometimes some things slip through the cracks. We all now know that crack is wack, so keep your eye on the ball and remain focused. Not on the hidden gifts, people! On the tasks at hand. A little Tomfoolery may have to be executed to fool some and if that's what it takes to acheive the bottom line, then by all means fool away. The prize is awaiting. Somewhat like what the Dreidel symbolizes. The traditional Chanukah dreidel (spinning top) is a throwback to the times when the Greek armies of King Antiochus controlled the Holy Land, before the Maccabees defeated them and sent them packing. 'Bye 'bye! The powerful regime passed a series of laws outlawing the study of Torah and many of the mitzvot, (commandments, if you will). The Jews were compelled to take their Torah learning "underground" which really stinks but ya know...so anyway, Jewish children resorted to learning Torah in outlying areas and forests. But even this secretive plan was not foolproof, because the ones who wanted to stop this learning had many patrols. The children therefore brought along small tops that they would quickly pull out and play with after hiding away their texts, so that they could pretend to be merely playing games.
Our Chanukah dreidel games are a salute to these Jewish heroes of yore. Like I said, a means to an end. The beauty of living in a free society gives us the choice to believe or not believe and to read whatever we choose. Maybe one day differences in beliefs, dress, skin color, orientation and on and on... will be celebrated everywhere, not simply in intellectual clusters. Tickets to 'The Rockettes' in NYC were being raffled and no one was signing up and you may think me a fool but, along with my own name (of course) I signed up a few friends who had no idea about the contest. Well, one of my friends won and he took his girlfriend on Friday. They had a great time. I am happy that it went so well. Out of the blue then a pizza party was sprung and I was on the receiving end of it...then A came into the shop and brought me gifts! Little moments of odd people and many moments of wonderful. I installed and delivered yesterday and again this morning. I am actually getting things done, in a timely fashion also! I keep little memo sheets stuck everywhere and in some cases write on the palm of my left hand. I know, you are saying to yourselves, 'how utterly professional of him'. Well, at least I don't have to hide those little sheets or the palm of my hand. If I did have to, believe you me I'd have a dreidel for each cause and they would all be different in size, color, scale, pattern and I'd celebrate them all. The bar stools were a hit, Charlie threw a fit at the park this morning, a crazy dame called again about a ceramic figurine that seems to change defects at will and the lighting fixtures ordered a while ago finally are in the vicinity. Speaking again about secrets of survival, on this day in 1992 Marla Maples married Donald Trump. I am off (we know that already)to the gym now. I need to lift for a while and release some endorphins (endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds FYI). Stay positive! Create an emotional barrier that absorbs positive energy and repels the jerks. Have a great day.