Greetings from a grey but great Chester County Day! Last evening Mother Nature treated us to a beautiful ice and sleet/snow delivery and this morning the trees and grassy areas looked picturesque. Yippee! I love it. I was out pretty late and when I drove home there were few vehicles on the road and my truck was a trooper yet again. I just faxed the pinch pleated drapery order with thermal lining and got word back that my floor plan for the carpet installation is A-OK. I should hope so as I have been doing this for more than a few years. Something has been nagging at me and I don't know why, but I have gotten better at following my instincts. This is why I will now post a few smart ways to keep your home/office safe from fires this Holiday Season. I am not being negative, simply preventive. According to the United States Fire Administration, fires caused by candles increase fourfold during the holidays, and each year 200 house fires occur where Christmas trees are the initial source of ignition. But you don't have to give up holiday decorations in the interest of safety. Some safety tips include:
Maintain holiday lights. Avoid overloading electrical outlets.
Use only nonflammable decorations that are placed away from heat vents and if using an artificial tree, make sure it's flame retardant and preferably not that hideous silver. I'm kidding.
Avoid using candles when unsupervised, sort of like small children and demented old oddities.
Select a fresh Christmas tree and keep it in water at all times; needles on fresh trees should be green and should not fall off easily.
Make a fire safety plan with an escape route; and practice doing it. This can also provide entertainment if you ring the bell at 3 in the morning and awaken people from a deep sleep. I don't recommend it, but it could prompt a few giggles. Just make sure you have received all of your gifts first.
Please also keep in mind the use of space heaters. There should be at least 36 inches of clear space between anything that can catch fire. Malfunctioning fire places or furnaces are also sources of danger. Homeowners and office managers should make sure they get their furnaces and fireplaces primed and ready for the winter. A lot of times smoke detectors aren't working or aren't even there, so please make the time to check these instruments and either replace the battery or replace the units altogether. I know that in some places the economy is a bit rough, so instead of that extra sweater for Aunt Nell, get the place safe. She will be fine. Please keep in mind that smoke kills more two and four legged people than the fire or flames.
I report this information out of love and caring for humankind. And if there are some not nice people who read this blog, it goes for you too. Just 'cause you may be a little mean doesn't determine that you need to suffer. Be safe and fly through the Holiday Season with fun, hope, love and a gathering of friends and family. And speaking of 'fly', on this day in 1903 the Wright Brothers made their first powered and heavier-than-air flight in the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. One of those could come in handy when the roads out here become impassable. Have a great day, be smoke and fire free and be smart.
Today's photo is of my Holiday Bracelets in a set of three. So after you get your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors up and running, and have the flue cleaned and have completed every other item on your safety check list you may have enough cash to buy these for Aunty Nell. Safety is paramount, but ya don't wanna get on her bad side. Have a great day.