Wednesday, September 16, 2009

...insomnia...


Greetings. It is overcast today in Chester County, PA and I spent another thrilling night with the insomnia demons. If anyone out there also suffers from insomnia you can identify with the 'demon' part. I follow the rules in the good sleep handbook but then *wham* I go thru days and days of this craziness. The room is dark, it is quiet, I don't overeat or drink, I do my workouts early enough in the late afternoon, I don't bring my laptop to bed and I don't use the room for anything other than to sleep. So what gives? Napoleon and Edison both lived on 4 hours of sleep per night and seemed to have done just fine, not that I can place myself into that illustrious group. At around 3:30 I finally realized that sleep would not come so I crept out of the bedroom to let sleeping dogs lie and went way downstairs and began a project. Maybe it's the changing seasons. I always get insomnia when a full moon appears, and three days before it appears and three days after it goes. Sometimes I get insomnia during a new moon and I have been this way for years. On this day in 1812, aside from the Overture, Russians set fire to Moscow shortly after midnight and the city burned down completely days later. Perhaps they were sleep deprived. 'Coir Gentle Leaves Door Mat' is shown today because I'm just not that clever this morning. Have a good day and for Heaven's sake, stay awake.
"Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking." Clifton Fadiman