Wednesday, September 23, 2009

...Hilda Barakat...


Hello. Many years ago clients called on me to redecorate their new home in West Chester, PA. They had taste, a beautiful collection of art and furnishings and needed very little direction from me. They also sent their son and daughter to me for design advice, home furnishings and more over the years. This relationship has continued and I cherish it. During that chaotic move, Hilda Barakat remained calm, kind and in control as she stopped everything that she was doing to prepare a wonderful lunch for me, the decorater. Last year they stopped into my shop to buy a game table and chairs and it may have taken 20 minutes maximum to make their style and finish selection. That is typical of the Barakats as they know what they like and display no frivolity whatsoever. I love them. I had a strange occurrence when a business associate hopped up on the front display platform decreeing that she was 'the only thing for sale' up there, much to my embarrassment and dismay. As the Barakat's left the shop I asked Hilda to please not dance on the front platform, in jest. Her quick reply was "I will try my best to control myself" without missing a beat and we all laughed. Yesterday Dr. Barakat phoned me in all of his bereavement to tell me that his beloved wife had succumbed to pancreatic cancer and had died the previous Saturday. With all that he is enduring and in his sadness and loss, he had the class and thoughtfulness to phone me to tell me of Mrs. Barakats passing. My heart was broken and I cannot imagine the loss and sadness that the Barakat family is feeling right now. Rest in peace Hilda. You are a strong, beautiful, intelligent, witty, generous, brave woman. I never guessed that you were ill, and I guess that goes along with your strength.


HILDA DAISY (nee Batarseh) on September 19, 2009 of West Chester, formerly of Clarks Summit, PA. Survived by her husband Adel, her daughter Lamia Barakat (Brad Norford), her son Rami Barakat (Ginny), her grandchildren Keira, Sabrina, Gabriel, Reema, and Laila and her brothers Gabriel, Victor, Samir and Nabil Batarseh. Relatives and friends are invited to her Visitation Sat., 9:30 to 10:30 A.M. followed by her Funeral Mass 10:30 A.M. at St. Sharbel Maronite Catholic Church, 3679 Providence Rd., Newtown Square, PA 19073. Interment private. In lieu of flowers, donations in Hilda's memory may be made to United Palestinian Appeal Children's Charity, 1330 New Hampshire Ave., NW, Suite 104, Washington D.C. 20036 www.helpupa.com