Saturday, July 4, 2009

...state of independence...


Hello. I finished the drapery job in black and camel yesterday and then met friends for dinner. It was a beautiful evening here in Chester County so we ate outside. Friends came down from Forest Hills and were fun to hang with. New Yorkers have a certain way about them and I know that I am generalizing but so what. They are articulate, worldly, high energy, intelligent and intersting. Maybe that's why on this day in 1827, slavery was abolished in the state of New York. Another guest at the dinner was a slow talking pain in the ass and I wanted desperately to push her into the pool, but that would not have been nice. There is a pool party today and I wasn't sure if there would be time enough to refill it. I made myself independent of her by...leaving her company. Thank goodness for large back yards! Little man coughed a lot yesterday and I did my best to medicate him without overdoing it. He seems a little bit less congested today and I hope, for his sake, it lasts.

OH! Speaking of Independence, and I almost forgot, (yeah, right.) On this day in 1776 the United States Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Continental Congress. This document announced that the 13 American colonies, then at war with Great Britain, were now independent states, and thus no longer a part of the British Empire. Congress had voted on July 2nd, more than a year after the start of the American Revolutionary War, to declare Independence. The final draft was approved on July 4th, thus the parties and flags blowing all over the place! Have a great day, enjoy your freedoms and be thankful that you live in a State of Independence.

"The precondition to freedom is security". Rand Beers