Tuesday, July 28, 2009

...decisions, decisions...


Greetings. How many decisions to you think that the average human adult has to make on any given day? Right now you are probably deciding whether or not it is worth your time to estimate. If you have reached a general number, how many of those decisions do you think are good and valid ones? There are several ways in which we make decisions: intuition, calculation and coherence. Basically, and I decided to really edit this, we make decisions by either an emotion-based intuitive manner, by a practical pro and con manner and/or by fitting together explanation, deduction, facilitation and association. I personally mix all of these depending on the circumstances and do my best to make a sound decision. Yesterday I delivered a window treatment and since the weather was beautiful I took the boys, who spent some time gazing into a man made fish pond. They loved it. We then hung out with ex-neighbors who have since moved to Atlanta and had a great time. I followed up on the breakfast table and chairs plan and decided that, rather than waiting on a back ordered sample, I would see what I could do to expedite the wood finish sample and found another source for that piece. Many small decisions, nothing too profound, but daily life requires a lot of decision making and thought. On this day in 1965 U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson announced his order to increase the number of United States troops in South Vietnam from 75,000 to 125,000. My ordering a wood finish sample was not life or death, but I do want the client to be happy with her new furniture. Once my visitors left and I finished the laundry and walked the boys one last time it was about 10:30. I thought that a little Martini would be a good night cap and then thought better of it and decided to skip having one. We all make many, many decisions every day and whether we work better by emotion, calculation, coherence or a combination of all it may work to our advantage to ask for guidance from up there too. It couldn't hurt. Have a great day. Oh, a solicitor with a pamphlet is approaching my front door. I need to run upstairs to the top level with a bucket of ice water and greet him from an open window! Wait. Should I or shouldn't I? I can't decide. Oh, what the hell...
Today's photo are those Rush seat chairs. Available in both side and arm styles it makes sense to do both. All decisions should be so easy!
"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." Bill Cosby