Wednesday, November 11, 2009

...remembrance


Hello. How has your year been? Do you realize that there are only 50 days left in 2009? Time to collect your memories. Today is Remembrance Day (also Armistice Day) regarding World War I as that ceasefire went into effect at 11:00 am on this day in 1918. In the United States, Veterans Day celebrates all American military veterans. Unfortunately we now must include the twelve soldiers that Major Malik Nadal Hasan, M.D. M.P.H. murdered execution-style at Fort Hood, Texas. Life can be a battlefield. By the way, M.P.H. is an abbreviation for Master of Public Health. I have been held at gunpoint a couple of times in my life; actually held only once and then shot at once and then chased once by a pack of gun toting crazies when I was in my early twenties. Each time I fought back, one time rather unknowingly so I won't share that here and I can imagine the fear but not the horror of war, whether it be on the battlefield or in the safety of a soldier's home comfort zone. Have a great day and take nothing for granted. Today's photo is my ' Hungry Cat Birdbath.' It's cute and ironic in a way because the bird is in no real danger. Fantasy trumps reality on occasion.
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." Herodotus