Sunday, November 15, 2009

...it's that time of year


Hello. Has it started yet? I am referring to Holiday songs on the radio. I have my IPod on mostly, that's why I'm asking. I think it would be great to have written a Holiday Classic. What a legacy to leave the Universe. I have assembled ten of my favorites with a brief synopsis for your reading pleasure.
White Christmas I can't think of a bad rendition out there. The late 70's gave a whole new meaning to 'white.'
Silver Bells Speaks of Christmas in the City, not in a rural setting as most other songs of that generation.
Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer Max's favorite and I will associate that for the rest of my lifetime.
The Little Drummer Boy Shows that a gift doesn't have to be weighed monetarily.
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Is this song melancholy covered by a thin veil of happiness or do I need psychiatric help?
It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year Now I think of 'Back To School.'
Frosty the Snowman Written way before the threat of Global Warming
Deck The Halls An Interior Designer's Holiday theme song.
Jingle Bell Rock Let's keep it upbeat also.
Merry Christmas, Darling A modern day classic that apparently sells still, especially in times of war. That should make it a hit virtually every year. Shown today, "Round Snowflake Needlepoint Rug."

The morning after Irving Berlin wrote "White Christmas" in 1940 at poolside, (he often stayed up all night writing) he told his secretary, "Grab your pen and take down this song. I just wrote the best song I've ever written — hell, I just wrote the best song that anybody's ever written."
If that isn't a 'quote of the day,' I don't know what is.