Saturday, November 7, 2009

...truth in advertising


Greetings. With Photoshop, airbrushing and editing, advertising can be a lot like smoke and mirrors. A gal stopped into my shop yesterday, expecting to see everything that I have advertised on my website in full stock in my shop. I don't mean to mislead, but sometimes that kind of stuff can happen. I'm not out to dis anyone's religious beliefs, but former Scientology member Marc Headley left Scientology after being involved for fifteen years and is publishing a tell-all book called "Blown for Good," and I won't comment on the title, about the bizarre religion. He talks in depth about Tom Cruise's supreme influence on its members.

Those working at the Scientology compound in Gilman Hot Springs, California are not allowed to watch television or read newspapers, but apparently they were gathered at different times to view clips of Scientology poster-child Tom Cruise! For example the actual footage might have said, 'Scientologist Tom Cruise, the biggest movie star in the world, acts like a crazy person on Oprah.' But what they saw was 'Tom Cruise, the biggest movie star in the world.' Then it would cut to the next thing."

The purpose of advertising is:
To attract new buyers and try to expand customer base.
To compete in the market.
To create an organization's recognition among consumers.
To promote subsidiary or products manufactured by the same company.
To bring into notice the changes, special offers or current developments of the interest of the consumers.
To increase the sale of a particular product.
To carry out public relations and public service program.

Is it 'right' to purposely mislead? That was rhetorical. On this day in 2002 Iran banned advertising of United States products. Have a great day and if you are shopping my website from Iran, I only ship within the continental US. I installed yesterday with great success the side panels, box pleated valance and upholstered chair seats. Shown today is my "Crown Motif Metal Napkin Ring."
"Americans are the only people in the world known to me whose status anxiety prompts them to advertise their college and university affiliations in the rear window of their automobiles." Paul Fussell