Thursday, October 15, 2009

...wave



  • A simple gesture that goes a long way. I was driving home yesterday with a thousand things on my mind and as I approached the entrance to my development a man on a riding mower waved to me. I waved back and it felt great. I wasn't being chased by the cops, hadn't absentmindedly cut anyone off and didn't have a baby on the roof of my truck. It was simply a random act of kindness on his part. On this day in 1981, professional cheerleader Krazy George Henderson lead what is thought to be the first audience wave in Oakland, California. The audience wave is achieved in a packed stadium when successive groups of spectators briefly stand and raise their arms. Each spectator is required to rise at the same time as those straight in front and behind, and slightly after the person immediately to either the right (for a clockwise wave) or the left (for a counterclockwise wave). Immediately upon stretching to full height, the spectator returns to the usual seated position. I can't follow a dance step personally, but many enjoy this arena practice as it brings a sense of camaraderie and closeness to a bunch of strangers with common likes. The chair seat fabrics and the Box Pleated Valance fabric are in good stock luckily, so getting this job finished by Thanksgiving should be a breeze. It would be hard to sit down to Thanksgiving Dinner with no chair seats, but I could stop by and teach them to stand and wave without the sitting part. Have fun today, do your best and wave to a stranger. If you get the middle finger symbol back in return for your good deed, don't fret. You just made someones bad day a little bit better. Shown: Ocean Blue Fabric Bordered Area Rug.

  • "Do not wave stick when trying to catch dog." Earl Derr Biggers