Tuesday, October 13, 2009

...studs on fire...


Hello. On this crisp, cool October morning in Chester County, PA we got a whiff of someone burning a fire. This scent fits perfectly with the colder mornings and turning leaves. I needed new bags for my ShopVac so visited my local (cocoon) Sears Hardware and was greeted with decorated Christmas Trees and shelves full of lights and decorations. The Holidays can never come too early for me. How about for you? On this day in 1903, Victor Herbert's "Babes in Toyland," premiered in New York City. We all know that "Babes in Toyland" is an operetta composed by Victor Herbert and Glen MacDonough, which melded various characters from Mother Goose nursery rhymes into a Christmas-themed musical extravaganza. That MacDonough was savvy as he wanted to cash in on the extraordinary success of The Wizard of Oz, on which he had assisted. Two classic compositions have stood the test of time as "Toyland" and "March of the Toys" occasionally show up on Christmas compilations. My soffit revision is almost finished. Thoughtful and caring, I measured and cut most of the studs at work. The builder didn't drywall underneath the soffits so happily I had to cut 17 studs, cut drywall and then tape and plaster more than I had anticipated. Turns out that neighbors on both sides of me have been ill for a few days. All they needed to hear was the sound of many studs through my walls! That could have been better stated. I saved the remnants of all stud pieces and will burn them on the first cold evening, when time allows. One three yard piece of cording is back ordered and that holds up an entire order but patience is a virtue right? I never claimed to be a virtuous person. Have fun today and be open to the change of season and all of the great things that Autumn has to offer. Life also, for that matter. "Box Pleated Valance" shown.
"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing." Salvador Dali