Thursday, October 1, 2009

...let there be lights...


Hi. Our walk was a bit dark this morning with the clouds overhead and everyone's body clocks awaiting the end of Daylight Savings Time, which ends on Sunday, November 1st this year. The day before yesterday as I went downstairs to my workroom, an overhead lighting fixture blew a bulb. With the black and green William Morris wallpaper on the hallway walls, it was as dark as a tomb. I have yet to spend time in a tomb, but am guessing it is quite dark. Last night another bulb blew on the same floor so I guess they do have a somewhat regulated life span. On this day in 1880 the first electric lamp factory was opened by Thomas Edison. A predecessor to Thomas was a being named God who was also big on light. A popular text states "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. And God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness." (Genesis 1:1-4) Carrying the box of 75 watt bulbs in my hand, I didn't proclaim "Let there be light", 'cause that's sort of like remaking a classic Beatles song. Leave well enough alone. We are coming up on the Full Harvest Moon on the 4th of October and hopefully the skies will be clear. This moon should illuminate the sky but I will talk more about my favorite Full Moon on the 4th. Have a great time today and try to be the light in someone's life. We all have the power to do so. Use it.
"Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success." Thomas A. Edison