Sunday, August 16, 2009

...Vick,Michael...dick




Hi. I awoke yesterday morning to feel the same sadness about my Max that I had felt the weeks right after his death and it was so odd. I have been getting better and better over the sudden and tragic loss but it was right in my face yesterday and I could not shake my sadness. I guess that grief cannot or will not go away entirely and that's what the loss of a loved one does to a heart and a soul. Or maybe I am just a wimp. After shop hours I went to a pool party, had one margarita and then went home, not at all in the partying mood even tho' the people there were awesome. Thankfully one of my 'angel' friends came over who had gone through the same tragic loss of a loved animal and we were in safe, good company. A couple of nights before I put on the baseball game 'cause it has a calming effect on me for some strange reason and I really don't know what we would do without organized sports. Well, some organized 'sports'. On this day in 1954 the first edition of "Sports Illustrated" was published. The cover showed a buxom blonde haired woman in a soaked white t-shirt bending backwards into a waterfall. Ooops. I am wrong! Please read on.


The cover showed Braves star Eddie Mathews at bat and Giants catcher Wes Westrum, a star name if ever I heard one, in Milwaukee Country Stadium. Another sport by some people's definition is dogfighting. I try to see things from every side but cannot come to terms with this being a viable, acceptable sport. In early December two years ago Michael Dick ooops,Vick was sentenced to 'up to' 23 months in prison for running a dogfighting operation and apparently couldn't even tell the complete truth to the Judge. That's why he got a longer sentence than his two co-defendants, coloring less than truthful statements about killing pit bulls. U.S District Judge Henry Hudson presided but didn't feel certain that Dick, oops, Vick accepted responsibility for his actions.
Did any of you know that dogs in this 'sport' that did not perform up to expectations were killed by electrocution, hanging, drowning and other violent means by the dogfighting ring? Sounds like true sportsmanship to me! Judge Hudson said 'evidence, including statements by the co-defendants, showed Vick was more directly involved than he admitted.' Hudson also mentioned that Vick had been deceptive on a polygraph test. Though that evidence was not admissible in court, the results were discussed. Whats good for the goose they say so here is an idea. Joel Segal, Dick's agent reported that Dick had inked a two-year contract with the Eagles.
Dick 29, hasn't played in the NFL since 2006. He spent 19 months in federal prison after pleading guilty in August 2007 to federal dog-fighting charges.


Wouldn't it be fair to use dogfighting rules when it comes to Dick? If he fumbles, electrocute him. If he misses a pass, drown the f*cker. If he scores a touchdown, well, just for fun, hang the f*ck. Ratings would certainly jump, more people would show up at the games, more food and beverages would be served and the economy would surge. It is a win win situation for everyone involved. Well, almost everyone. But who really cares about him? I sure don't. There is no way to erase the horror, fear, pain and suffering of those innocent animals and there should be a higher price to pay than being paid large sums of money to get 'back in the game'. I have to run now. I want to get the Cherry Box out and hug my Max's ashes, then I need to get my Pomeranian's trachea and enlarged heart medication out, hide it in something that he loves to eat, turn the AC colder so that he can breathe more easily, get fish oil for my 22 year old black cat and give the other two dogs a bath. We have a party today. Stay safe, clean and positive.