Thursday, August 20, 2009

...strong enough...


Hi. It was 'Wings' night last night at a local restaurant so friends and I went and had a great time. Not a wing man myself, I had a Ceasar Salad and a Turkey Sandwich. I counted about 7 flat screen television sets in the place, all tuned into the baseball game. An American tradition, even outside America, this game provides entertainment, requires the strongest of athletes and brings in big bucks for many from the hot dog vendor to the beer people to the advertisers. On this day in 1938, Lou Gehrig hit his 23rd career grand slam – a record that still stands. Talk about being strong enough. I know for a fact that my industry is getting tougher because most high end houses do not or cannot stock the goods so waiting can be arduous. I intend to remain strong and continue to adjust and grow with change. Darwin may have liked my theory, or me his. On this day in 1858, Charles Darwin first published his theory of evolution in The Journal of the Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London. I was a mere tot and remember my Grandmother reading it to me between sips of Manhattans. I chose the 'Reclaimed Wood Dining Table' and 8 French Country Chairs with rush seats finished in a weathered ebony for a wonderful client and have learned that the table diameter is now being made smaller than originally designed and does not fit the setting. Surprise! Don't you love going back to square one? This has happened to me before and I recall a specific case in 1878 when Victorian Furniture was all the rage. It had something to do with chair frames and freight and I was feeling 'quitty' so I phoned Darwin and he was very cool. He would be dead in 4 years and was working on his theories as they pertained to botany but still had the time for me. He said something about 'survival of the fittest' and then gave me another contact for the frames. I will never forget it. Have a great day, don't let your diameters be your parameters and either stay strong, or become stronger. Darwin would have loved that.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." Mohandas Gandhi