Saturday, May 29, 2010

...memorialize this


Oh, say can you see? This weekend is the official start to summer for some, for others they can begin to wear white but in truth, Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May, which commemorates men and women who died while in the military service. It is those soldiers who keep the US the land of the free and the home of the brave. Christmas was memorialized forever on this day in 1942 when Bing Crosby, the Ken Darby Singers and the John Scott Trotter Orchestra recorded Irving Berlin's "White Christmas", the best-selling Christmas single in history, for Decca Records in Los Angeles. Now you have two melodies to hum all weekend long. I will be painting, upholstering and thanking God that I can see, that I have freedoms, and that, even though white isn't one of my fashion staples, I can wear it comfortably without causing an uproar at a handful of parties that I need to attend. The 'Writing Desk' pictured is on sale, simply because a little scratch is on it. Make me a decent offer, pick the thing up and then sit down to write a song that will stand the test of time.
"Since it is not granted to us to live long, let us transmit to posterity some memorial that we have at least lived." E. Joseph Cossman