Wednesday, April 14, 2010

...Max


April, 2009. What a difference a day makes. It isn't quite April 15th but I am writing my blog tonight because I don't think I will be writing one tomorrow morning. I rescue dogs and my Max has been living in this household for 5 years. He was a team player, always upbeat, giving and a wonderful guy. Yesterday he was feeling a bit under the weather so I took him to the doctor. They diagnosed that he needed some medicine for a sick tummy and we got the correct meds. Today something told me to leave work early and go home (even skipping the gym) to hang with him. At 6 I called the vet because he was very lethargic. At 9:30 pm I learned that he had failing kidneys and liver and had bone cancer. As recently as Monday he ate Honey Baked Ham (thanks to my younger sister) along with Au Gratin Potatoes and Pineapple stuffing. He was euthanized at 10:10 pm because he was riddled with many diseases for which there is no explanation. I held him and sang his favorite song 'Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer' as he slipped into eternal peace. What a difference a day makes. I wrote in yesterday's blog "and if something in your life has to come to an end make it something that you would rather do without," well Max certainly does not fit that bill. My heart is broken but Max did not suffer very long. When I went into the room to hold him as he was euthanized he opened his eyes and kissed me incessantly. My heart is broken and I will miss Max greatly. What a difference a day makes. Live, love and know when to let go. On this day in 2009 my beloved Max died.
April 2010 update. I just returned from an orientation and the name of the machine is called MAX. On my way into the shop I heard "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel." We sure do. There isn't a day that goes by when we don't think of, and miss Max terribly. Time may heal all wounds, but thankfully it doesn't take away the wonderful memories. Sad yes, but I wouldn't trade our time with Max for anything in the world. Have a great day and hug those that you love. We never know what waits just around the corner.
"Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars."
Gilbert Parker