Sunday, January 10, 2010

...common sense


Hi. Common sense is defined as "ordinary good sense or sound practical judgment." Are we born with it or is it learned? If the latter, does everyone learn it? If so does everyone use it? On this day in 1776, Thomas Paine published a pamphlet entitled "Common Sense." It was first published anonymously on January 10, 1776, during the American Revolution. Common Sense, signed "Written by an Englishman", became an immediate success; it had the largest sale and circulation of any book in American history. Common Sense presented the American colonists with a powerful argument for independence from British rule at a time when the question of independence was still undecided. Joan Rivers, a teen at that time, donated her weekends to passing out the pamphlets. A mature person was driving ahead of me on a major road late yesterday and suddenly decided to stop and make a U-turn. Common sense dictated that I turn on my hazard lights to alert those behind me. Instincts told me to lower my driver's side window, flash my middle finger and yell 'get off of the road you stupid f*ck.' I did neither. I did deliver the silk and velvet runners to a delighted client. Have a great day, use your common sense and if you don't have any, learn some.
"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense." Mark Twain