Monday, January 24, 2011

...eccentricity


In popular usage, eccentricity refers to unusual or odd behavior on the part of an individual. Hmmm. I spent the greater part of yesterday in a Senior Care Facility in Haverford. The objective was to take as many items from a large space and condense them into a much smaller one and make it feel like home. Apparently I did, because MF was more than happy in her new surroundings. While waiting for technicians to fix the telephone I met a woman who was looking for her husband. He had passed years ago and yet she waited. She began to cry so I suggested a cup of strong tea. I knew that it wouldn't bring him back, nor she, but it helped. On this day in 41, Gaius Caesar (Caligula), known for his eccentricity, was assassinated by his disgruntled Praetorian Guards. Thankfully today we don't do that sort of thing. Earl Grey goes a long way. "Money, like vodka, turns a person into an eccentric." Anton Chekhov