Friday, January 7, 2011

...Daylesford Abbey & Candy Man


I don't understand all of the pedophilia within the Catholic Church. It is a revered institution, and yet it is fraught with stories, and facts concerning sexual acts of impropriety. I know that the church is one of the largest profit-making institutions and remains tax exempt. Lucky them!
I did not attend Catholic School. I did go to Catechism. There was a Priest who used to give me unwarranted attention. He was a freak. His name was Father Hagan. I remember it to this day. It is something that one gets used to, but never forgets. He used to taunt me in front of the class and try to 'handle' me in private. I pushed him away back then and probably would have cut him if I had been older.
One day, and this is going waaaayyy back I called him on his shit. He would refer to me as Mr. Clancey, purposely misnaming me. I called him Father Heathen, ( please keep in mind that I was a mere tot, but thankfully with survival instincts) and wouldn't you know...my parents were called in. I never went back.
What I do not understand is why, after all of these years, this kind of thing can still happen. I also do not understand how, with the huge financial profits brought in by this big business, how they cannot afford to compensate the people whose lives they have ruined by reporting a 'lack of funds.'
These past few years have been monetarily tough for many, but geez. If you want to play with a young boy or girl, and make a major, negative effect on their lives forever, show some compensation...oops....I meant compassion.
"Forgive me Father for I have sinned."
Oh, wait. It wasn't me, it was you.
Please read on...


On this day in 2010...well, I have cheated to copy and paste an article from snapnetwork.org:

Victim of pedophile priest speaks publicly for first time

Cleric known as “the candy man” taught in local school

Catholic officials have deemed allegations “credible” but won’t act

Group will try to hand deliver fliers to parents & a letter to school staff

Religious order, claiming poverty, offered man $2,000; he may file civil lawsuit

Self help organization wants principal to “reach out” to others who may have been hurt

WHAT
Holding childhood photos and signs at a sidewalk new conference, a clergy sex abuse victim will, for the first time, disclose and discuss the child molestation he suffered at the hands of a Catholic priest.

He will also try to
-- hand deliver a letter to school officials asking them to use their resources to reach out to others who may have been assaulted by the priest, and
-- hand out leaflets to adults around the school urging them to ask friends and relatives about the predator.

And he’ll beg local Catholics and current and former school staff to ask friends & family if they were hurt by this cleric, and come forward and get help if they were injured.

WHEN
Thursday, January 7 from 1:45 - 3:00 pm (as students leave school)

WHERE
Outside Sts. John Neumann & Maria Goretti Catholic High School, 1736 South Tenth Street (215 465 8437) in Philadelphia

WHO
A Florida man who was abused by the priest, his California attorney, and two-four child sex abuse victims who belong to a support group called SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAPnetwork.org)

WHY
Last year, John Katubi reported to Catholic officials that he was molested as a 10 year old by Fr. Robert W. Gaghan in the late 1950s. Gaghan’s supervisors, the Norbertines, have admitted to Katabi and his lawyer that his charges are credible, but claim poverty and have offered Katubi only $2,000. Katubi may file a civil suit.

Gaghan was the victim's uncle, pastor and teacher. Gaghan abused both of Katubi’s brothers too.

Gaghan, who died in 1989, was known as the "Candy Man” because he gave candy to kids who came to mass on Sunday at St. Gabriel and possibly St. Edmonds. Gaghan taught at Southeast Catholic - Bishop Neumann - Saint John Neumann High School from the 1950s through the 1980s. An alumni publication indicates that Gaghan was principal of Bishop Neumann (then called Southeast Catholic) in 1981.

The Norbertines have refused to turn over their ‘investigation report’ to Katubi despite numerous requests.

Some of the crimes occurred at a vacation home on the New Jersey shore near Atlantic City.

Katubi, now 64, is a Philadelphia native. He’s now divorced and works as a charter boat captain in Key West FL. He is represented by attorney Michele M. Betti of San Diego CA and New York NY (760 500 5451, mbettilaw@gmail.com).

The Norbertines operate Daylesford Abbey in Paoli PA. They are represented by Philadelphia attorney Michael D. O’Mara (215 564 8121).

CONTACT
David Clohessy 314 566 9790 cell, Barbara Dorris 314 862 7688 home, 314 503 0003 cell