Thursday, March 4, 2010

...regency


Hello. I met with DJ late yesterday and it was a true joy to hang out with her again. I will make her classic white voile sheers for many windows and today will find a vapor blue/celery carpet for her bedroom. The entire family is above and beyond and I am a lucky guy. Her sister is just as classic in taste and down to earth as was their Mom and still, their Dad. Nothing garish or gaudy about their taste. It tends toward classic and tailored, not like the Regency Era. It is that narrow period after the Georgian time of powdered wigs and gaudy satins, but before the Victorian time of dull, straitlaced staidness. Some say that when Victoria took the throne, she was fed up with the loose morals and hedonistic behavior which had characterized the Regency. I found it a lot of fun personally, but I was in my 20's and living it up as many young folks do. The Regency Era, generally circa 1790-1820, was a time of undiluted pleasure-seeking and over-indulgence. Undiluted means no mixer with the Vodka. The 'Regency Sofa' listed in my "Hidden Treasures" section has sold and is now deleted. On this day in 1814, Americans defeated the British at the Battle of Longwoods between London, Ontario and Thamesville, near present-day Wardsville, Ontario. That pretty much killed us getting any great design ideas from the British. This may or may not be true. Have fun today as well as working hard and if you tend toward the garish and hedonistic, please give me a call. I have no firm plans this evening. "Checkerboard Bunny" is going, going, almost gone.
"Character develops itself in the stream of life." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
(I know a few characters and am thankful for that.)