Friday, February 4, 2011

...a song for you


28 years ago, on this day, I was working in the Art Department at WCAU-TV as an Intern. I will never forget the news release that shot at me and my quick follow up that was part of my job. I had to read the news briefs and then go into the art archives to back the story up with some type of photo. The most recent photo I could find to correlate with this brief was a group shot of past Grammy winners. In that photo was the little face of Karen Carpenter, I think with a white ruffled shirt on. I have to say that I was in utter shock that day and was not too professional when the news spread across the station and then across the world. Other 'professionals' were shocked also and some even cried in the newsroom. She was and is my favorite vocalist of all time and also someone who remembered my birthday way back in 1975, even sending me a card. On this day in 1983, Karen Carpenter died.
"I'm just afraid I'm gonna miss it all... being married... being a mother."
Karen Carpenter