Saturday, February 12, 2011

...scream


A friend of mine just emailed me a poem after I sent him a lovely limerick.

I will a tale unfold whose lightest word
Would harrow up thy soul, freeze thy young blood,
Make thy two eyes, like stars, start from their
spheres,
Thy knotted and combined locks to part
And each particular hair to stand on end,
Like quills upon the fretful porpentine: (Hamlet)

Well, on this day in 1994 four men broke into the National Gallery of Norway and stole Edward Munch's iconic painting The Scream. Edward Munch was a Norwegian Symbolist painter, printmaker and an important forerunner of expressionistic art. His best-known composition, The Scream, was part of a series The Frieze of Life, in which Munch explored the themes of love, fear, death, melancholia, and anxiety. Don't we all? I had a handful of people scream at me yesterday for things that had nothing to do with me. I had to ask one person to stop yelling at me in person as I was being chewed out on the phone by another. When I asked her to wait, she claimed that I was the rude one. Happy days, happy nights and no screams.

"All the things one has forgotten scream for help in dreams."
Elias Canetti