Sunday, September 5, 2010

...laborious


The first Labor Day in the United States was celebrated on September 5, 1882 in New York City. It became a federal holiday in 1894, when, following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike, President Grover Cleveland put reconciliation with the labor movement as a top political priority. Fearing further conflict, legislation making Labor Day a national holiday was rushed through Congress unanimously and signed into law a mere six days after the end of the strike. Talk about cutting through red tape! Now, if I could only get back my $400.00 from Merchant Services for sneakily taking those monies out of my account and then not being able to use a telephone!
Labor Day, to many, signifies the end of Summer and I can almost hear the groans. Today I will be swimming and can't wait. No laborious strokes for me tho'. How about you?
"Life is short, the art long." Hippocrates
p.s. custom drapery sale begins 9/11/2010 call (610) 983-9542
Chester County Interior Design ...Jim