Tuesday, July 12, 2011

...pollywhat?




Flip Wilson, comedian and a regular on 'Laugh-In' often declared that "the Devil made me do it". On this day in 1843 Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, allegedly received a revelation wherein Jesus Christ proclaimed that anyone who rejected polygamy would suffer damnation and would not "be permitted to enter into my glory". Hmmm. To each his own. I would like to see the day when everyone of legal age is able to obtain a marriage license. Somewhat ironically, on this day in 1979, "Disco Demolition Night" at Comiskey Park Chicago, IL was a promotional event that took place during which a crate filled with records was blown up on the field. The event has been characterized as the "emblematic moment" of the anti-disco "crusade". Shown today, "Straight Valance".

"I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies."
Oscar Wilde